Friday, September 23, 2022

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

Reviewed by Leiden T.
Grade 9

If you’d like to find a book filled with horrible stereotypes, lack of purpose, a selfish main character (not complex, just aggravating) with a writer who obviously doesn’t know what he’s doing, then you should take a look at Me and Earl and the Dying Girl.

Greg is the narrator of this completely uninteresting tale. This book starts out with the author warning the readers that he is in fact, not a good writer. After this, it talks about how Greg is being forced by his mother to help a girl with cancer by being a good friend to her. He is extremely reluctant but decides to go on with it, alongside his best friend Earl.

This story is told in the first-person perspective of Greg that has some fourth wall-breaking where he talks to the reader. The way the book is set is an obvious way to get attention and seem original, but it just is very… weird. Repeatedly throughout the book it will tell you to stop reading and I wish I listened to it. The humor is just not funny in the slightest and there’s lots of vulgar language to make itself appeal to teens. I didn’t understand the point of the book, no moral or real plot, which made it feel like a chore I had to finish. Besides the way that is written, there are still many faults. It was almost as if the writer had a goal to fill the book with as much racism and sexism as possible. He uses a derogatory term used against black people on multiple occasions, even though he is a white man.

I’ve said multiple of my critiques and despite the fact I think it’s a bad book, there are redeeming qualities. I will say that I enjoyed how Greg is depicted as a deeply flawed character which makes him relatable. I could heavily relate to his need to make people smile and that’s one of the main reasons I kept on reading.

I don’t recommend this book to anyone, though that doesn’t mean I don’t think it should be in the library. Despite the fact that this is considered a frequently "Banned" or "Challenged" book, I do not believe that any book should be banned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment