Thursday, March 18, 2021

Our take on Printz

 Written by Hope M., Lauren M., and Lisa W.

Each year, the American Library Association "honors the best best book written for teens, based entirely on its literary merit." Sometimes these books really resonate with teen readers (like Looking For Alaska) and other times they are head-scratchers that don't really appeal to your average teen. We take a look at this year's Printz winner and honor books and share our own thoughts on their merits.

2021 Winner
Everything Sad Is Untrue (A True Story) by Daniel Nayeri depicts the life of the author and narrator throughout his childhood. In one book, Nayeri weaves together a tale of facts and feelings, struggles and strength, fiction and nonfiction, and so much wisdom. While reading, I felt like the author was speaking directly to me. Furthermore, his personal questions and thoughts caused me to reflect in ways I haven't before. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the novel. On a grading scale of A-F, Everything Sad Is Untrue (A True Story) gets an A+ from me!

-Hope





2021 Honor Books

Apple (Skin To The Core) by Eric Gansworth is a memoir depicting the author's life growing up in the Onodaga Tribe in America. Written in verse, Gansworth uses his experiences (and a few Beatles references) to empower Native Americans and help them embrace their identities. Honestly this book was slightly confusing, especially at the beginning; I've read many books written in verse before, however the format of each line had me wondering whether I was reading the book itself or a strange (and long) prologue. Nevertheless, I do feel as if the book allowed me to fully comprehend the horrors that most Native Americans had to endure. If I were to grade Gansworth's work, I would give it a B.
- Lisa

In Dragon HoopsGene Luen Yang's newest graphic novel, we dive deep into Bishop O'Dowd High School's basketball team as they make their way through the 2014-15 season with hopes of finally winning the State Championships. Striking and thought-provoking, Dragon Hoops introduces readers to the members of the team and explores the principles and mannerisms that make a winning team that go far deeper than drills and practice--principles the apply to every area of life. An A on the grading scale of A-F, Yang's latest will have readers cheering the Dragons on throughout. 
-Lauren



Every Body Looking by Candace Iloh portrays the life of Ada, a young woman who struggles to find her identity and take control of her own destiny. The novel goes back and forth between her present and her past, illustrating the difficult circumstances Ada has experienced from her childhood up to her life at college.Many mature themes are presented in the story, and the author's unique writing style allowed me to empathize with the character's trials. Despite this, I didn't really enjoy it. For this reason, I would give this book a D.
-Hope


We Are Not Free
 by Traci Chee 
World War II is a subject that is approached frequently by authors, however Traci Chee finds an innovative and enlightening way to utilize that topic to introduce another part of history that is, sadly, not as well known. We Are Not Free is a passionate and heart-wrenching story about 14 Japanese-American teenagers whose lives are uprooted when they are placed in incarceration camps during World War II. I recommend this book, not because it was an enjoyable read, but because the abuse and racism that Japanese-Americans had to face should not be an obscure part of history. The only negative comment that I have for We Are Not Free is that 14 different points-of-view are a bit difficult to tolerate, seeing as every time the reader begins to sympathize with the character, the POV is switched to someone else’s. Ergo, I wasn’t able to connect to any of them. I would give this book an A-.
-Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment