Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Reviewed by Arthi J.
Grade 12

“All I ever wanted was to reach out and touch another human being not just with my hands but with my heart.”

Shatter Me by Tarhereh Mafi is a young adult dystopian novel set in the far future, where food is scarce, the sky's the wrong color, and birds don’t fly anymore. The world is crumbling and the Reestablishment has taken control, claiming their way to fix the world is the only way. Juliette Ferrars has not touched anyone in 264 days. The last time she did, someone died. With one touch, she has the deadly ability to leave a full grown man in immense agony and gasping for air. No one knows why she has this fatal power, but with bigger problems at hand, the Reestablishment locked her up in a cell for murder and left it at that.

Now with only the numbers in her head and words in a small notebook, it takes everything Juliette has to not go insane. Then one day, an old face from her past shows up as her cellmate and she doesn’t know what to think. With traitorous whispers of revolt and war now arising, The Reestablishment gives Juliette a choice: use her power as a weapon or, well, I suppose the alternative is not so pleasant. She finds a strength she never knew she had, but will she fight for what's right?        

I really enjoyed reading this book, and I think it does a great job of introducing the characters and the world they live in, which are later built upon in the following books of the series. Mafi creates her characters so they are incredibly complex and each have their own backstories. Also, I’m a huge fan of the dystopian genre, so it’s no surprise that I liked this novel.

I would recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys reading books that are extremely realistic and take place in the future. Though if I had to pick, I’d say that the third book in the series (Ignite Me) would be my favorite because of its dive into Warner’s character, which we don’t get in the earlier books. I hope you enjoy reading this novel, and hopefully the rest of the series! 


No comments:

Post a Comment