Thursday, June 25, 2020

Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han

Reviewed by Susan Z.
Grade 10

“Don't be the girl who goes to college with a boyfriend.”

Lara Jean has already had such a wonderful senior year and she still has lots to look forward to: a class trip, prom, graduation, Beach Week and more. She’s in a great relationship with her boyfriend, Peter, her dad’s getting married, and she has college plans all sorted out. Imagine life being that perfect, that’s what Lara Jean thought too...until something unexpected happened that changed her life forever. Despite that, she still tries to enjoy the rest of her final year in high school.

Lara Jean had life after high school all sorted out. Her plan was to get into the University of Virginia (UVA)--which Peter had already gotten into for playing lacrosse--to continue her relationship with Peter, and to be close enough to home so she could be there for her little sister, Kitty. Those plans were shattered when she wasn’t accepted into UVA. As she goes through the rest of her senior year, enjoying hanging out with her friends, helping plan her dad’s wedding, and spending as much time with Peter as possible, she’s left thinking what to do next. She gets accepted into other colleges, but all she can think about is how the distance will put a strain on her relationship with Peter. And it turns out, despite coming off very confident, Peter is also under stress due to Lara Jean not attending UVA. With other challenges being thrown at them throughout the novel, Lara Jean is stuck wondering whether her relationship with Peter can really last. And when she gets off the wait list of another one of her dream colleges that's 4 hours away, Lara Jean has to decide whether she’s going to listen to her head or her heart.

I read the first book in this series, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, and then watched the 2nd book's film adaptation,To All the Boys: P.S I Still Love You, because I was so hooked and the book was checked out from everywhere. And so was this book, but there is no adaptation yet; so I actually kind of forgot about this book until it came in the mail a few days ago. I love this book...I love the entire series. Lara Jean is just so lovable, and witnessing her grow from what she was like in the first book...her character growth is just amazing. I think this book is the one where she was the most relatable. I love how the author didn’t give her a happily ever after-even though I do believe Lara Jean deserves a break with everything she went through in the previous books. But I’m glad the author made Lara Jean struggle and work for, not the future she had planned, but still one that she is excited about. It just shows that life can be challenging and messy at times, but in the end, even if it’s not the route you had planned to take, you’ll get to your destination.

I would recommend Always and Forever, Lara Jean to really everybody; it’s such a good book and conclusion to the series. If you haven’t read the two previous books, I recommend doing that first. I don’t believe it is absolutely necessary for you to read the other books before reading this one, but there will be a few references that you might not get, one of which made me cry. I do really recommend this book to high schoolers, I find it relatable with Lara Jean trying to balance everything going on in her life. And I recommend this for anybody who enjoys a good romance novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment