Monday, March 30, 2020

The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson

Reviewed by Anna M.
Grade 8

When I checked out the book The Healer’s Apprentice at the library, I was immensely interested by the beautiful cover. Though as I read the first few chapters, I started to fade. Getting into this long story took quite a while. I cannot say that reading this book was a total waste of time, but it was not a page turner. Don’t expect to be up all night reading it.

The protagonist of this book is a seventeen-year-old girl living in the Middle Ages. Rose, the woodcutter’s daughter, finds herself an apprentice of the town’s healer, Frau Geruscha. Rose is repetitively ordered by her mother to marry rich, old bachelors, and constantly denies her mother’s requests. Rose wants to marry a man she loves. Meanwhile the Duke of Hagenheim’s sons, Lord Hamlin and Lord Rupert, return from two years at Heidelberg’s university, and Rose finds herself falling in love with Lord Hamlin, who is betrothed to a mysterious Lady Salomea. Unfortunately, Lord Hamlin injures his leg, and Rose must sew the wound. Rose frequently finds herself getting into situations where Lord Hamlin must save her.

Reading this book, I could tell the author put much work into the plot. Rose was a very brave character, who is willing to do what is right even when it gets tough and even if it means losing the people she loves and cherishes. All the characters’ lives in this book worked out perfect except the main two, and that was unrealistic in my opinion. Like all fairy tales, it had the happily ever after ending; however, I felt that after all the hardship that had occurred the ending just happened out of nowhere, with no warning.

If you are bored, then The Healer’s Apprentice is not a terrible way to fill your time. The book did have many positive messages and was clean. I could also relate to the main characters. However, if you are looking for a page-turner, I would not bother to read this book. I personally did not like the author's style, and the rhythm of the book was dreadfully slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment