Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Indigo's Star by Hilary McKay

Reviewed by Stacia M.
Grade 6

Indigo Casson missed a whole term of school due to him having mononucleosis. When he finally recovers, he's forced to face his fears and go back to school. Only his younger sister, Rose, knows why he's dreading going back so much.

On his first Monday back, things were as if he'd never left. The school gang was still out to get him. When a boy named Tom came from America to just get away from things going on at home, he ends up getting caught up with Indigo in the fight against the gang leader.

My favorite character in this book is Rose. I like that she's very resolute and has a lot of perseverance. I know this because she was very determined to have her father come home and to get the black guitar that Tom wanted so badly.

I would recommend Indigo's Star based on the theme. A boy has to stand up to what he's afraid of and go through challenges that he conquers. Also, I think that the gang, Tom and Indigo have an interesting connection. I also enjoyed the relationship between Rose and Tom.


No comments:

Post a Comment